Understanding the World - Early Years Reception
Geography – Key Stage 1
What we aim to achieve through our curriculum? The schemes we follow and why?
* We aim to develop all Learners curiosity and a fascination about the world and its people.
* Children who can engage in a process of enquiry based learning, giving them transferable skills such as observation, measurement, reading and presentation that they can take forward into Key Stage 2.
* We follow National curriculum aims and objectives, BFI curriculum map Children’s interest and high engagement.
* Practical activities are relevant to children’s interests.
* Development of geographical skills- development of geographical vocabulary
How our Geography Curriculum is delivered...
* Topic themed and cross curricular
* Mantle of the expert
* Blocks of topic work across a term.
What difference is our Geography Curriculum making? What assessments we use? How we track progress...
Progress is tracked using Target Tracker, book looks and pupil voice
Ways We Celebrate Geography...
* Links to Eco School activities
* ‘Learn a Language’ taster sessions
* Trip to Hyde Hall.
How our Geography Curriculum meets the needs of all Learners...
* Practical activities to interest and motivate.
* Clear expectations for what children will record ie. Number of sentences, photos, scribing.
* Pre-teaching of vocabulary.
* Extended questioning, research challenges.